1. Welcome to the Airnation.net Social Hangar! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Virgin Australia gives a nice Christmas surprise to passengers who missed Christmas altogether

Discussion in 'Latest Airline News' started by Everett 757, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VI

United States United States
    While the holidays can be a busy time for travel, most prefer to travel before or after major holidays. For example, I doubt there are many people who are excited about flying on Christmas (well, other than those who don't celebrate the holiday, in which case it's a great day to fly, given that the flights aren't as full).

Well, Virgin Australia did something extra special this year for the passengers who missed Christmas altogether. This includes the passengers who flew from Los Angeles to Sydney and Brisbane on the night of December 24, and landed in Australia on the morning of the 26th.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/12/26/virgin-australia-christmas-surprise/

2. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

They stepped up to the plate on that one! :)

3. The Commander

The Commander Hangar Associate Member IV

Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.
    Sounds like somebody had done some serious pre-provisioning and planning to pull this off.
    As some of my former crew would have said, "Good on ya, Mate!!"

4. R. M. ANDERSON

R. M. ANDERSON Hangar Bronze Member III

Wasn't like a Concorde flight from Europe to the US on New Years where as the flight was boarding they celebrated New Years on the ground -
    then once airborne celebrated New Years again enroute -
    and finally on landing celebrated it a the third time.
    This happened years ago when the Concorde was still in service and this feat could easily be done with the Speedbird.

Imagine what the Crew in the Space station did on New Years Eve popping Champagne like it was a machine gun or Christmas flying loops around Santa Claus !

Space and time travel not yet at the speed of light !

But Kudos to Airlines that make time zone travel pleasant - holiday or not !

Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.
  5. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member II

I can remember back in the mid 80's my ex-wife and I decided to forgo the entertaining our families and go to Disney World for Christmas. We had friends that told us that Disney at Christmas was magical. We flew down Christmas morning on an Eastern Airlines L-1011 from LGA-MCO, more Flight Attendants than passengers. Our Christmas Gifts from the Eastern Fight Crew, free headphones (the used to charge $2.50) for the movie, A Christmas Story, first time I saw it was on the plane, free booze, a walk through greeting from the Captain for every passenger. And on a personal note, some one in the crew took the time to buy blank Christmas Cards they were not Eastern Stock, looked like store bought and hand write "Merry Christmas from your Crew" and placed it on every meal tray. it was a great flight and could never happen today. Sad but great memories. I do still talk with my ex and she remembers that flight clearly.

Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.
  6. Lord Leighton

I was at Disney World the day after Christmas in 1980. Think I bought the last Mickey Mouse sweatshirt available. Stayed at my GF's family's place in Oveido.

7. David Barnshaw

David Barnshaw Hangar Gold Member I

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    They probably did the same on United Airlines flight UA890 (787),took off from Shanghai on 1st.Jan.2017,then landed in San Francisco on 31st,Dec.2016.o_O:)

Kevin, Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.
  8. Lord Leighton

Hey that 2 yr long flight musta cost a bundle! ;)

Kevin, Everett 757 and David Barnshaw like this.