1. Welcome to the Airnation.net Social Hangar! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Sisters miss seeing dying father after getting kicked off Allegiant flight

Discussion in 'Latest Airline News' started by Everett 757, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member V

United States United States
    Two sisters say they are grieving after being kicked off an Allegiant Air Flight, which they claim caused them to miss their terminally ill father's last moments before passing away.

On Monday, Debbie Hartman and Trisha Baker of DeLand, Fla. were on an Allegiant plane in Orlando, waiting to take off for North Carolina.

As the flight was preparing to depart, Baker says she got a text message that her father, who was in hospice, had just hours to live, according to Orlando station WKMG.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/...fter-getting-kicked-off-allegiant-flight.html

Kevin likes this.
  2. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member V

There is some confusion concerning this story. However if everything is factual as reported, then Allegiant sure fouled up big time on this one.

3. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member II

Having worked my entire life with the public I have seen distraught people be misunderstood as angry people. Not knowing the tone of the conversation between the two sisters and the F/A I really can't pass judgment here. If the F/A was actually doing active listening he or she may have understood what the situation was and tried to calm them down. Having seen people have panic attacks I can also see how the F/A might consider the passenger might cause a problem inflight and notify the Captain. Sounds like a communication issue and if the story is accurate then the Allegiant sure did screw up this one.

4. Flytdeck

Flytdeck Hangar Bronze Member VI

Qatar Qatar
    I'm with Kevin. Understood this was a stressful situation for everyone. Likely the cabin crew saw the panic attack and knew that with the stress of flight it was only likely to escalate. The conservative if not the empathetic response may have been in order. Likely more information will become available as I am sure some "helpful" passenger videoed the event.
    The crew's priority is the safety of every person jammed into that aircraft. Safety must take precedent over empathy every time.

5. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

SOP for Allegiant I hear.

Richard Wyeroski likes this.
  6. Lord Leighton

Sounds like the sisters were hindering and distracting the F/A's efforts to inform the Capt about standard engine fires and flaps falling off, etc.. :rolleyes:

7. Flytdeck

Qatar Qatar
    Judgement calls always difficult, made more so by lack of sufficient training and unclear company policies. In the aircraft crews' minds first and foremost would, hopefully, be safety. With no other resources to fall on, they made a decision. Possibly right for the flight, but very unfortunate and saddening for the individuals removed. Allegiant will take a lot of public heat for this but that does not necessarily mean that the crew was wrong.

8. Lord Leighton

"(My sister) said (to the flight attendant), 'You're being very rude. My father is dying, and I'm comforting her,' and they said she needed to keep her personal problems off the plane,".
    What, do the F/As consider their flights military style bombing runs not to be messed with? I mean, why didn't the F/As offer these two ladies to fulfill their duty to the belly ball turret gunner positions to take their minds off of 'reality' instead? Just the name 'Allegiant' does NOT evoke any definition of safety. The F/A's lack of compassion and their ongoing stress of having to fly on Russian Roulette style P.O.S. death traps for a job might have contributed to their commitment to this sanctimonious 'Safety' charade. :cool:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  9. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

o_O.....Sounds like a mess.....A cheap seat airline operating old planes at cut rate prices and the pay can not be that good working for this outfit. Low cost everything. Add in long hours and no body cares!!

10. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member II

The attitude of Flight Attendants across the board on all carriers have changed since my introduction to commercial air travel over 40 years ago. I have seen rude, disruptive and just downright nasty people yell at Flight Attendants in the past and they would handle them with dignity and professionalism. That's on my travels starting in 1970 through the late 90's even though service levels were dropping. Since 9/11 it's almost like the role of a flight attendant has changed from inflight service and safety, to passenger vs flight attendant. Now they have to be more cognizant of possible threats from the passenger, trained on how to wrestle and restrain unruly or threatening passengers. On my move from NY to Tucson, I made 4 roundtrips from LGA-PHX involving Delta, American and the final days of US Airways. Albeit I flew coach, but in all those flights, 8 in all since they were all connecting, the F/A's seemed indifferent, dour, and in one case looked like he slept in his uniform. The only bright light was on a DL flight where most of the F/A's smiled and actually seemed to be enjoying their work. The "Welcome Aboard" is gone, the "bye-bye" is gone, they now seem to be functionaries working at the DMV. Now throw working for Allegiant, where your not paid well, working in an environment that safety wise if is was on the ground OSHA would have closed down and then dealing with the "cheap leisure traveler" who thinks they should be getting Concorde level service and you have a formula for what happened with these two sisters. After the one sister had a panic attack and the other sister was yelling at the flight attendant, he or she saw two disruptive passengers and lacking the training and considering the environment became immediately defensive and didn't listen to what the situation was and just made sure they were removed from the aircraft. Probably not handled the way a Pan Am Flight Attendant of the 1970's would have handled it. I'll go one step further and say not the way a Mohawk Airlines Stewardess of 1970 would have handled it. My only concern is I don't know how disruptive the two sisters were being. Some people can get downright nasty and considering the working environment the F/A saying I'm not putting up with this s--t these people are out of here. I'm surprised that a video from a fellow passenger has not surfaced to really see what happened. In my travels I have seen two passengers removed from a flight due to behavior. One was on a DL flight from HPN-DCA on CRJ700 where a passenger who had to check a bag that would not fit into the overhead compartment became extremely angry and abusive and was removed by the Westchester County Police. The other was a Midway II flight from LGA-RDU-TPA where a female passenger appeared to have suffered a panic attack while we were still at the gate and seemed to been have calmed down by the F/A but shortly began screaming again this time both the First Officer and the F/A went back to her to try to calm her down but was actually removed by EMS when she failed to do so. So again I say the "Panic Attack" thing can be a contributing factor depending on the severity. Having someone have a panic attack at the level the passenger I observed would not only be disruptive but could be a safety risk if they do not calm down, mainly to themselves, but I'm sure fellow passengers would express discomfort in an enclosed environment of the aircraft cabin where no EMS is available. Then we have an emergency landing for a disturbed passenger. This could have contributed to the Allegiant's F/A' s thinking. Still wish we had a video. I wonder how this would have been handled by a Flight Attendant on a Trans Atlantic Delta flight in Business Class by Gold Level Sky Mile Passenger?

11. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

.....air travel has sure changed. The cheap seat carriers attract characters and it has to suck as a career. I alway Remeber what my mother usto say.....To get respect you have to give respect.

12. Flytdeck

Qatar Qatar

You nailed it, Kevin. Travel on many airlines has devolved to a point where compassion is considered an "extra" along with legroom and luggage. Check humanity at the gate as there is no room for it onboard.

13. tuscaloosaguy

tuscaloosaguy Hangar Associate Member III

"compassion is considered an "extra" along with legroom and luggage. Check humanity at the gate as there is no room for it onboard."

I'm sure if there's a way, the airlines will find a way to charge extra for it (compassion & humanity). It's coming....... On the low cost airlines, you'll have to store it in the upper bins....

Flytdeck and Everett 757 like this.
  14. Lord Leighton

I don't think a Business Class Gold Level Sky Mile Pax would be in panic mode. Too much air travel experience and maybe well oiled too. What's there to get panicked about except maybe another panicked pax?

Flytdeck and Everett 757 like this.
  15. Lord Leighton

Just wait til they have fully automated flights. Compassion/Humanity? "Hey there ain't anybody on board to show us any!" "Where'd everyone go ffs?" "Damn, some idiot started a fight and there's no one onboard to break it up!" Maybe at the first sign of trouble detected by cabin decibels, they'll program automated flights to pull an abrupt 6G climb to sit everyone's asses in the seat, and if they still don't get the message the plane will do a -6G dive at the top just before stall to bang some sense into everyone's heads. "But I like my martinis shaken not stirred Mr. Robot F/A!" Welcome to 'Sit Down and STFU' Airways! :eek::rolleyes:

Drjohn, Flytdeck and Everett 757 like this.
  16. Orca17

Orca17 Hangar Bronze Member VI

The events of 9/11 have changed the mindset of everyone involved with aviation. Not that the cabin crew believed that the sisters were potential terrorists, but there is a lot less tolerance toward any kind of disruption aboard an aircraft than there used to be.

As others have mentioned, add in a cut-rate airline that probably places as much priority on crew training as they do on maintaining their aircraft, and you get results like this.