1. Welcome to the Airnation.net Social Hangar! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

RNO FSDO Manager Becker and RNO FSDO Supervisor Jones Now Acting As Process Servers

Discussion in 'FAA News, Opinion and Articles' started by Edward Jeszka, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Edward Jeszka

Edward Jeszka Hangar Silver Member V

United States United States
    RNO FSDO Manager Becker has a new job function along with RNO FSDO Supervisor Jones. As GA continues its atrocious safety numbers unabated the Western Pacific Senior Attorney Lisa M. Toscano sends these obviously overpaid FAA employees on a field trip to act in their newest job function, PROCESS SERVERS. The combined salaries of both of these two perfect examples of dedicated civil servants lies somewhere in the vicinity of $130.00 per hour. So lets get this straight. Two FSDO gnomes with a combined salary of $130.00 per hour acting as unsuccessful process servers joyriding around Nevada for a day and a half, in a Government car, eating at perdiem rates, and getting absolutely nothing accomplished. How does that work for you? Process server sure wasn't in any Job Description during my tenure at the FAA. Anybody else have an idea of what this gross waste of your money might fall under?

Maybe Lisa Toscano paid them out of her bloated salary? Sure hope so as I wouldn't want to think that this waste, fraud and abuse is being paid for by my tax dollars. One final question...If you can send these two sterling examples of FAA's finest out for a few days, who was watching the store? Maybe that should be a very clear example that neither of them are really necessary in the scheme of things and they should possibly find gainful employment as unsuccessful process servers. And as a result of the attached letter, I simply might want to hazard a guess that neither of the jobs were really accomplished with any effectiveness. Just a guess, of course, based solely on outward appearances and only an opinion.

[​IMG]

Now is the time we should call for a Congressional Investigation into the abuse of authority and misuse of our tax dollars as well as the malfeasance and misfeasance taking place daily within the FAA and now it appears at all levels but this time in Western Pacific Legal (Toscano) and RNO FSDO (Becker and Jones). Well Mr. Huerta? What's it going to take? How much dishonesty and corruption will be enough? We are all waiting to see when you will actually engage yourself, your office and the people parading through the halls of 800 Indy in some sort of effort to rein in this rampant misbehavior and just plain and simple misconduct. Surprise us sir, DO SOMETHING!
    Richard Wyeroski likes this.
  2. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Silver Member IV

Sounds like an illegal procedure? Why would a manager and supervisor drive hundreds of miles to serve a subpoena?

How was aviation safety served here? Questions that need a court with a jury to get answers.
    Edward Jeszka likes this.
  3. Edward Jeszka

Aviation safety was not served in this case. As in many cases that the FAA files simply as a retaliatory act. A vendetta driven agency at its grassroots.
  4. Jeff Lewis

Jeff Lewis Hangar Associate Member V

I looked up the federal pay histories online, and your $130/hr estimate is pretty close. For 2012, the pays were:

q Michael J. Becker, Aviation Safety, grade FV K at Reno, $126,965 and $0 bonus

q Harold J. Jones, Aviation Safety, grade FV J at Reno, $114,604 and $0 bonus

My experience enduring FAA retaliation for being a safety whistleblower included extensive interactions with the legal counsel at FAA's Western Pacific regional office (AWP). Ms. Toscano works under Naomi Tsuda (the AWP Regional Counsel) and has ten 'General Attorney' coworkers. Their 2012 pay, viewable online, is as follows (name, pay grade, pay in red, and annual bonus in green):

DAWSON, NAOMI T FV M $179,700 $0
    TERASAKI, CAREY W FV L $179,700 $0
    TOSCANO, LISA J FV K $157,120 $0
    BOBERTZ, DONALD C FV J $145,090 $4,039
    HERSON-JONES, LORRAINE M FV J $132,988 $1,100
    GREEN, LIERRE M FV J $112,872 $1,500
    BYRNE, THEODORE P FV J $110,384 $750
    MANALILI, JOSEPH L FV J $122,900 $900
    ADOLPH, COURTNEY BRYCE FV J $105,019 $1,500
    MERRILL, CHRISTOPHER IAN FV J $99,901 $0
    NAKAMURA, LINDSAY MARIKO FV J $96,361 $500
    RUNKEL, ADAM JAMES FV J $93,590 $1,500

Obviously, at these pay levels, it is important to act on opportunities to look busy and productive. Hence, Toscano's efforts to serve the pilot (Buehn), and the two FSDO managers' efforts to complete that service. For the record, I know nothing about the Buehn case and it would be interesting to learn what the charges were, as well as the history, etc. My guess (from research in recent years) is there is a very high probability that the charges and proposed action are trivial, and FAA's efforts are just busywork. I hope someone can prove my guess is incorrect (i.e., it would be GREAT for once to see FAA really do something meaningful and get solid results in a timely and fair manner).

The extensive documentation I collected via my years of meticulous FOIA filings show clearly that, when they apply for the job at FAA, new attorneys read this in their job description:

"As an FAA attorney, you will protect FAA from financial risk exposure by employing whatever nefarious tactics you deem necessary, including lying, obfuscating, delaying, slandering, hiding the records, and otherwise knowingly obstructing true justice. You will be expected to have casual chats with Air Traffic and/or Human Resources officials, and then declare that your casual chat serves to exempt that information from fair disclosure on the basis of 'attorney-client privilege'. While conducting your duties, you will not become aware of FAA safety failures or unethical/criminal behavior by FAA management because (a) such events do not happen, and (b) your continued pay check depends on your being selectively blind to these possibilities."

Examples of this job performance are numerous. Tsuda and Bobertz were deeply involved in my Whistleblower retaliation case and hid all the exculpatory FAA records when I had go to MSPB with an Appeal in late 2008; I later obtained those records starting in late 2009. Adolph was shameless in hiding a critical ATSAP record for a controller error that happened at Camarillo [KCMA] on 7/25/10, which FAA has concealed at all levels: local tower, LA District office, Western Service Area, and even at FAA HQ. Here are links to extensive documentation both:
    http://aireform.com/about-contact/f...ecords-improperly-concealed-by-faa-officials/
    http://aireform.com/a-safety-failure-at-camarillo-tower/

And here are links to letters to two top FAA officials (Ferrante & Grizzle), regarding the CMA concealed OE:
    http://aireform.com/a-letter-to-tony-ferrante-aov-1/
    http://aireform.com/the-faa-will-not-tolerate-any-degradation-in-safety/
  5. Edward Jeszka

Jeff,
    Many of us on this site are former FAA employees that have been labeled as "whistleblowers". We wear it with pride. As you have disclosed the Western Pacific, Legal as well as AVS and ATC have some very extensive experience in abuses and retaliation. I am hoping that this series of conduct and behavior would be considered worthy of a Congressional investigation.
  6. Jeff Lewis

Jeff Lewis Hangar Associate Member V

You are sure right about the Whistleblowers. I have learned about a couple dozen, and most of their stories are just horrific, for the waste and corruption they reveal at FAA. Also, it looks like the timeframe around 2006-2008 was a particularly intense period of retaliation against Whistleblowers.

If a Congressional Investigation was held, as absolutely needs to happen, it could precipitate lots of cost savings at FAA when many of the rogue officials suddenly retire. My fear though, is that many Congressional representatives are resistant to asking the hard questions, because they do not want FAA to arbitrarily retaliate against the elected official. That is to say, a Congressman greatly values the photo-op with the $10 Million dollar FAA-funded project that brings jobs, as it helps him to be re-elected ... and so, it looks like to some in Congress, the value of a constituent Whistleblower is to bargain with FAA, trading an 'all ears but no real action' treatment of his constituent with FAA's promise to supply the bacon.

The Congressman tells FAA something like this: "I tell you what, I will lend this guy my ear and let you what he tells me; I will not press too hard to force FAA to clean this up; and you (FAA) will assure me that my $20M new runway gets announced next Spring. Do we have a deal?" (wink, wink)

By the way, in my own Whistleblower case, my union (NATCA) did exactly what I describe above. I have a huge quantity of FAA records showing how NATCA aggressively defended completely unwinnable grievances involving union reps and non-Whistleblowers. Yet, with real Whistleblower cases, NATCA just delays and distracts, hands the case off, over and over, then eventually just abruptly settles in a way that protects both FAA and NATCA. The simple fact is, when a work culture is corrupted, the one Whistleblower who responsibly speaks up to correct that problem becomes a threat to all corrupted parties; not just the management, but also the union officials as well as the few (or many) coworkers who benefit from the corrupt activity.
  7. ATCS

ATCS New Hangar Member

I don't understand how this memo written by an overpaid employee doing work of questionable value became an exhibit (as indicated at the bottom of the memo). The fact that these two clowns drove around in circles trying to find someone really has nothing to do with the price of tea in China, especially if the person served was "not the target of an investigation" as one of them said. Actually, the tone and phrasing of the memo says that the author wanted to be a cop but couldn't make that happen so became a FSDO type.

Isn't there an actual process server in the State of Nevada who could have accomplished the goal for less? Why do we need both of these highly paid aviation pros running around doing this?
  8. Edward Jeszka

Aviation Pros? You are certainly being generous with that. I can't justify in any way that behavior and activities of these two FAA Management types. Process server would have probably been much more effective and far less costly. Having these two "sterling" FAA RNO FSDO"s finest on the road and away from the office was probably more beneficial to everyone else having to do business with that office.
  9. Richard Wyeroski

One thing here these fellows are not pros....they are what we call minions..doing anything they are told whether it is illegal or not!
  10. Edward Jeszka

And that, IMHO, I am sincerely afraid, is what it takes to fill an FAA management position.
  11. Richard Wyeroski

The attorney was off base on this. Under the pilot bill of rights this case could go to a jury and this is tampering with evidence!

FAA attorneys have been known ( well know ) to create evidence and direct FAA Inspectors and Managers to purger themselves under oath.

False evidence and Perjury are serious and often go unpunished under the Administrative Law System, because the judge literally ignores it.

One would have to wonder, how impartial the judge is when he is owned by the agency and told what to do in the back room.

[​IMG]
  12. Edward Jeszka

Judge Woody took the place of deceased ALJ Pope. Both "Hanging Judges" from what I heard from this bogus hearing. Another Kangaroo Court that an FAA "Whistleblower" was forced to endure. Replaced one with a clone of the first. Too bad. Could have made some very genuine improvements in the system. Having watched this one I have to admit that it appears the case was decided before the hearing. Same old garbage. Guilty! Now you poor soul, take on the FAA and the NTSB on your dime. What a totally disingenuous attempt at due process. But he, Judge Woody, no make that judge woody, keeps the 95% losses against airmen and operators up as expected and on all probability, instructed to do.
  13. Edward Jeszka

And they will all get awards at the end of the year or promotion to higher positions that they will be even less qualified to fill.