1. Welcome to the Airnation.net Social Hangar! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

House panel: No regulation of airline seat sizes

Discussion in 'Latest Airline News' started by vegli, Feb 12, 2016.

1. vegli

vegli Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    WASHINGTON – A television ad during the Super Bowl described airline seating as a “21st Century torture device,” which some House Democrats used Thursday to illustrate their proposal that the Transportation Department require a minimum seat space on airliners within a year.

Reps. Steve Cohen, D-Tenn., and Janice Hahn, D-Calif., argued that airline seats have become so close together that they could represent a safety hazard during an emergency evacuation.

“There will be a crash and there will be people who will not be able to get out of an airplane,” Cohen said.

They attempted to add the provision to legislation governing the Federal Aviation Administration being debated in the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee.

But Rep. Bill Shuster, R-Pa., the committee chairman who wrote the bill, said the legislation he presented already provides for an evacuation study. The Transportation Department can issue regulations based on safety, but not comfort, he said.

The committee rejected the amendment on a 33-26 vote.

"I am disappointed," Cohen said after the vote, arguing that it's time for the FAA to take action.

Despite the vote, airline seating remains an emotional issue. Hahn said narrow seating leads to air rage, with passengers fighting against each other.

While passengers have grown larger, Cohen said seats averaged 18 inches wide before deregulation of the industry, compared to 16.5 inches today. Similarly, he say seats used to provide an average of 35 inches between seatbacks but is now down to about 31 inches.

More....
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...el-no-regulation-airline-seat-sizes/80240798/

2. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member V

Good. Regulation of airline seat size is NOT needed. You can only imagine where that would lead to. We have too many bureaucrats now with their fingers in enough places messing things up.

Flytdeck likes this.
  3. connomar

connomar Hangar Associate Member III

I have to disagree. The function of government should be to impose rules that mediate the needs of the customers over the needs of the companies to make a profit. Left to the free market, profit will always be the determining factor.

Lord Leighton and Tamarindwalk like this.
  4. Tamarindwalk

Tamarindwalk Hangar Bronze Member V

Philippines Philippines
    Amen.

Flytdeck and Lord Leighton like this.
  5. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

Problem is, sardine canning is becoming an exceptionally dangerous crash survival issue they say. I like the fact that some entity that can, is actually gonna tackle everyone's back and legroom complaints successfully. Fuel vs fare prices will be the next ripoff issue to be handled too.

6. Everett 757

That is true. The problem I have with regulation is that it never stops right where it needs to stop. The original intent of most regulation is seemingly good, but then layer, after layer, after layer of unneeded bureaucratic meddling comes into being. I agree that seats are cramped and getting smaller, and its an issue that needs to be resolved.

7. Lord Leighton

It shouldn't be too hard. All modern airliners come with adjustable seat configurations in the floor if I'm not wrong.

Flytdeck and Everett 757 like this.
  8. Tamarindwalk

Tamarindwalk Hangar Bronze Member V

Philippines Philippines
    True, it is an issue that needs to be resolved. But it should be resolved keeping safety as the prime consideration, plus remembering that the passenger is the one who underwrites the whole matter and his/her well-being and comfort is paramount.

9. David Barnshaw

David Barnshaw Hangar Gold Member I

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Never had this problem in the good old days-you got a 'wicker basket'- like it-or lump it.;)

10. connomar

connomar Hangar Associate Member III

Might be slightly off topic, but I'd also like to add my two penny worth regarding the pathetic apathy of government(s) to react to new technologies in a timely fashion. The laser is not a new device, it's been around in one shape or another for most of my life. I think it was a 21 year old invention in 1979, but it apparently never occurred to those that create our laws, that as the devices shrunk, they could get into the hands of complete imbeciles, who would think it fun to point them at aircraft or car drivers.

Nor did it occur to them that the humble car radio could turn into a sound system with enough power to make the ears bleed, and certainly disable the driver from having any clue as to the environment around them. Net result, Fire Trucks, Ambulances etc. have to travel more slowly through junctions, or risk being hit by people that can't hear the sirens.

Our politicians need to be completely disconnected from all commercial influence. Campaign funds should come from taxes, and lobbying should be a crime. Accepting money or gifts also. Too late now I fear.

11. Lord Leighton

Yep. Probably cut the natl debt in half just by eliminating lobbying.

Everett 757 and Flytdeck like this.
  12. Flytdeck

Flytdeck Hangar Bronze Member VI

Qatar Qatar
    Interesting that in the evacuation tests with the high density seating, there are no "weight challenged" individuals or elderly in the centre seats. If the public had the opportunity to watch the evacuation videos from one of the new "high profit" configurations, they may reconsider their choice of carrier. Notice that Southwest Airlines has maintained a conservative configuration yet still seem to do quite well. The new Air Canada B777 high density configuration is not appealing for long journeys nor the Emirates B777. Unfortunately price drives the selection and consumers are often unaware of the consequences of their choice until they try and pry themselves into their assigned seat.

Orca17, Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.
  13. Lord Leighton

Yea I heard this about A/C. Not a good model. Emirates too? Is that to shuttle/shoehorn all the foreign workers in, and back to/from their home countries?

Everett 757 likes this.
  14. Flytdeck

Qatar Qatar
    Qatar Airways as well. The change to "compressed" seating was one of the reasons they lost their 5 star rating. It seems to be a trend with several airlines retrofitting their B777 equipment. Noted that his is NOT a Boeing recommended configuration.

Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.
  15. Lord Leighton

Just goes to prove, Bigger is not always better, but that is up to the airline.

16. Flytdeck

Qatar Qatar
    Bigger is definitely no better when it refers to people, especially in these new, "compact" seats. There is little give in the seats themselves and the recline option is almost extinct. At some point there will have to be a regulation defining the maximum height and width of passengers :confused:. Is there an operating model that would provide a bit of a premium to give a more comfortable seat with some legroom. Something between "sardine" and "salmon"?

17. Lord Leighton

Probably a 1970s style floor plan, but that ain't gonna happen.

18. Everett 757

How about, "trout"? :D :rolleyes:

Flytdeck and Lord Leighton like this.
  19. Flytdeck

Qatar Qatar
    Trout class.... like it. Seating scaled to measure.

20. Lord Leighton

Oh, I thought that would be the unkempt female only section. :confused:

Flytdeck likes this.