1. Welcome to the Airnation.net Social Hangar! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Delta flight gets stuck in grass before takeoff at Detroit Metro Airport

Discussion in 'Latest Airline News' started by Lee Ferrara, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Lee Ferrara

Lee Ferrara Administrator Staff Member

United States United States
    A Delta plane carrying 270 people got stuck in the grass at Detroit Metro Airport Saturday night just before takeoff.

“It went past the end of the runway. It was still on a taxiway, and it was turning around to come back and went of the edge of the taxiway,” airport spokesman Michael Conway said.

It happened shortly before 11 p.m. There were no injuries and the airport personnel worked with Delta Air Lines to arrange for shuttles to transport the passengers, he said.

The plane—a Boeing 777—was headed to Amsterdam.

MORE...

2. Edward Jeszka

Edward Jeszka Hangar Silver Member VI

Just posing a hopefully humorous response......Do I really feel good about the crew driving this thing? I would have to ask for another flight. Can't get out of Detroit without finding the grass? How are they going to find Amsterdam if they can't find the rw at DTW? For all you more than serious fans, its just a joke.

3. Oggie

Oggie Hangar Bronze Member III

Edward, your comment actually raises once again the questions I always ask myself after an incident of this sort (all too common judging by the # I have seen on this website). What happens to the flight crew? Are they admonished, penalized, sent for additional training?

4. Edward Jeszka

Oggie,

Being from the FAA, it will probably be written up by the local FSDO, I am sure, and sent to the POI for the Delta CMO. They will have a discussion with those concerned to find out the specifics. Normally there would have to be a reason. Can't figure out except that it appears he went too far on the taxiway and then tried to reverse course to the taxi-way that led to the active. He will probably get some counseling and a little sim time. At least that is how I would have handled it. But I consider myself a rare breed anymore. Now the new inspectors will probably be looking for some enforcement action more than counseling and remedial. Hanging a few more scalps will help their misguided careers and do absolutely nothing except continue to add bricks to the wall between industry and FAA. So who knows anymore.

There used to be a right way and an FAA way and it depended on what inspector was given the information as to how it was handled. There are still some old timers left and a very few new young guns that actually have figured out how to make aviation safer. But as long as you have the likes of Huerta, Foushee, Allen, Gilligan and a host of other "FAA's Finest" manning the 800 Indy castle prepare for the worst and then you might be pleasantly surprised if one of the "good guys" gets the call and you actually find yourself working toward a resolution that includes a safer way of operating.

The FAA administration/administrator/management have never asked those who can do the job the best for any input. They have their cronies and henchmen and as long as they can figure out how to increase their paychecks without increasing their work load or responsibility all things are grand in OZ. What an amazing idea......Huerta calling me and Rich and Gabe Bruno and ExumaGuy and David and Lee and Ken and Liese and others on this site for a sit down to try to figure out how we can do what they haven't been able to for years. Make aviation safer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In case you aren't aware it is my understanding that the FAST team will be going away permanently. It appears that they will be reintroducing the old concept of having an inspector doing the safety team meetings and other responsibilities just like the old days. He will be assigned to the FSDO, just like before. No more TajMahal empire building. FAST came along just after ATOS and it now appears, after spending $$$$$$$ neither works worth a darn. Lets just hope they put the right folks into the positions and not some of the lap dogs and butt kissers that found their way into the FAST team at its inception and have since risen to the top.

5. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Silver Member IV

Ed

Your comments about the FAA remind me how inept the agency has become.

As we know any pilot,mechanic or controller can make a mistake and a true well running agency will take an incident like this and get to the bottom of the cause and learn from it and improve training to prevent it from happening again.

Unfortunately the FAA does not have people that can accomplish this any longer. The layers of safety in aviation that the flying public have come to expect from our industry continue erode.

I truly hope that one of our Congressman or Senators investigates the FAA and as former Congressman Oberstar once stated in a congressional hearing back in 2008

"THE FAA NEEDS TO BE CLEANED OUT FROM TOP TO BOTTOM"!
    http://nationalstrategies.com/former-congressman-james-oberstar-joins-nsi

6. Richard Wyeroski

7. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member II

Bahamas Bahamas
    Delta has what is called an ASAP program. The intent of the program is to allow openness about incidents from all parties concerned so that the information arising from the incident can be used to prevent future incidents. To promote openness, the FAA lets the ASAP members handle the incident in-house. The pilots will likely receive training before being released back to line, and a record of the incident will be kept in their personnel file for a specified period of time. Accidents, as opposed to incidents, are NOT covered under ASAP programs.

8. Edward Jeszka

ASAP is a good program if allowed to work. The DTW FSDO folks are not connected to the Delta CMO and there could be the rub. It will depend on how open the inspector wants to be and how he interprets his function within the guidelines of the ASAP. It was established to work exactly how you have outlined. The problem is that it is an airline safety program, Part 121 focused, and as such leaves most of the field inspectors out of the everyday FSDO quite in the dark. They removed everyday safety inspectors from the cockpit some time ago and in effect, they dumbed down the 121 surveillance capability. When they are required to do the initial investigation or write up it has a tendency to become somewhat less than the level of professionalism that one would expect from the FAA in matters of 121 safety. Just my observation as I was with the FAA when that all took place.

Richard Wyeroski likes this.
  9. Richard Wyeroski

I remember the program. It cut down on paper work. If an incident fit in the parameters it was good. However I think the program is abused and used to hide problems!