1. Welcome to the Airnation.net Social Hangar! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

BHM FSDO, Tales of Corruption,Beginning To Disclose the FAA Misconduct

Discussion in 'Latest Airline News' started by Edward Jeszka, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Edward Jeszka

Edward Jeszka Hangar Silver Member V

United States United States
    OK. I was wrong!!!! I guess the FAA has never treated anyone unfairly except maybe a few folks that I know of. That is what it seems as no one, I repeat, no one has posted a situation or event that they feel could or should have been considered misconduct or abuse of authority or intimidation or a failure of the aviation oversight the FAA has been assigned to perform. That being the case I guess I will start with a pretty easy one in the BHM FSDO. That would be the Alabama Northwest Florida Flight Standards District Office.

Lets put that into prospective and understand the line of business. Birmingham FSDO is in the Southern Region. The manager, Linda Silvertooth, is a transfer from California. She answers to a gentlemen in the Regional Office, Thomas Winston, SO-200. He in turn answers within the Region to Doug Murphy, Regional Manager. Within the AVS (Flight Standards), he answers to either Ray Towles or Ray Duncan, Deputy Directors, Field Operations or Policy Oversight, who answer to John Allen, Director Flight Standards Service. That would be the Flight Standards Line of Business up to DC.

Then it goes to DC and starts the process all over. The Flight Standards LOB then goes to John Hickey, Deputy Associate Administrator for Aviation Safety, who also was or is being investigated for violations to the Hatch Act for his activity in the Seattle FSDO, who answers to Peggy Gilligan, Associate Administrator for Aviation Safety who then has the straight shot to the Administrator, Acting Administrator Huerta, unless, of course, that gets sidetracked to Clay Foushee, AAE-1, the firewall to protect the AA Huerta from the masses or to protect him from disclosing his lack of aviation knowledge.

So, now you know about the "BLACK HOLE" that your issues, including violations and enforcement and complaints and other various correspondence you may have submitted but never got a reply to ended up. But I digress. Lets go back to BHM FSDO.

Not very long ago certain information was discovered in a local gun club on line publication. The reason I bring this up is that I know, as an Aviation Safety Inspector from that office, now retired, that the aviation community has been treated pretty shabbily when it comes to timely certification, change requests, legitimate legal action and other actions that inspectors have as their responsibility. A number of these processes, depending what inspector was tasked to do them, seemed like it took an eternity, and then they probably were incorrect. Quite by accident I uncovered a possible reason for part of that malfeasance or incompetence.

I found an advertisement, well I was steered to an advertisement that really caught my interest and was of some concern. The ethics laws, under which ASI's are governed to try and keep them honest and above board are rather clear cut. You are restricted from using government assets and equipment in the conduct of a private business. Lo and behold, I found an advertisement of a gun sales, ammo sales and gun parts sales and service business. It was a name I was very familiar with. An Aviation Safety Inspector from the BHM FSDO. You might say "Not a big deal" and at this point I would agree. However, the story gets more interesting. The advertisement for this private business concern showed the contact information, the online e-mail contact information, was the inspector's FAA FSDO e-mail address. Reading further it also listed his telephonic contact information as
    his FAA FSDO phone number. Get the picture?

What was uncovered was an Aviation Safety Inspector running a private business, a gun sales business, out of his FAA FSDO office in Birmingham, Alabama. A clear violation of his ethics rules. Now the fun starts. This information, including the website information, was sent to David Grizzle while he was the Chief Council for the FAA. You know, the guy that is supposed to see that rules and regs are followed by employees as well as airmen. Then it disappeared. Fancy that, a violation in house of numerous rules and regulations and laws and only to see it disappear.

In perspective I see it this way. An FAA ASI, in the BHM FSDO, under the management of Linda Silvertooth and the supervision of Ed Blount (another disclosure forthcoming on him) was using your and my tax dollars to run a business out of the FSDO in Birmingham, AL. He was using the assets, which was blatant, but also was apparently doing this business from his FAA office and therefore must have been doing this illegal activity while he was being paid by your and my tax dollars. This has the appearance of another FAA cover-up of misconduct and illegal activity by FAA employees. It gets better. This inspector then gets a transfer and a promotion. Makes you kind of wonder what the heck is going on starting at BHM FSDO, SO Regional Office and all the way to 800 Independence Ave.

This is the first of many disclosures of misconduct, legal or ethical, I will be making that the FAA has done nothing about or covered up. I intend to expose the culture of corruption that seems to permeate the FAA. If you have something you wish to bring to the attention of the public this would be an excellent place to start. I am hoping that as this begins to get traction we might be able to bring a focus on the inept management within the FAA and attempt to bring them into compliance.

Ed Jeszka
    FAA Aviation Safety Inspector, Retired
    FWA, FAA Whistleblower Alliance​
    Edward Jeszka, Today at 9:39 AM Report
    #11 Reply
  2. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Silver Member IV

United States United States
    Ed:

This is sickening to read. The corruption in FAA Flight Standards was rampant in my Office in Farmingdale NY. The former Office Manager Richard B. Martin was corrupt and practiced Cronyism and was brought up on charges of misconduct and *removed as a manager because his buddies could not hide his crimes any longer. However he was reassigned and finished his time with FAA collecting a fat salary doing nothing. *http://www.mspb.gov/netsearch/viewdocs.aspx?docnumber=247306&version=247578&application=ACROBAT

Martin was the buddy of Nick Sabatini former Associate Administrator for Safety. Sabatini was allowed to retire after being caught misleading Congress in the Southwest Airline Investigation back in April 2008. Actually the whole bunch was cleaned out and allow to retire or be reassigned. The 800 Independence Ave was replaced including the DOT Secretary because of corruption.

What a kettle of fish. Any wonder FAA is inept and has the reputation of shooting flies off the wall with a shot gun. Often called the tombstone agency, FAA was and is a sick agency.

This should be an interesting talk old friend, between you me and Gabe Bruno, we have one hell of a tale to tell!

Funny, the "Pilot Bill of Rights" that just became law, would have helped you kick them where it hurts, for now, the NTSB is not the last stop for justice any longer.o_O

Richard Wyeroski, former FAA SAFETY INSPECTOR
    FAA WHISTLEBLOWERS ALLIANCE