Samoa Air the First Airline to Charge Passengers by Weight

Samoa Air

Samoa Air is the first airline to charge passenger fares by their weight

Samoa Air is apparently the first airline to charge passengers by weight.

Not the weight of their bags….the PASSENGER’S actual weight.

A section of the Samoa Air homepage reads:

“We at Samoa Air are keeping airfares fair, by charging our passengers only for what they weigh. You are the master of your Air’fair’, you decide how much (or little) your ticket will cost. No more exorbitant excess baggage fee’s [sic], or being charged for baggage you may not carry. Your weight plus your baggage items, is what you pay for. Simple.”

“Airplanes don’t run on seats, they run on weight,” Samoa Air’s Chief Executive, Chris Langton, told Radio Australia.

A section of the airline’s web site titled “How does pay what you weigh work?” outlines the steps in determining a passengers final airfare.

Step 1. Select ‘book online’, and choose your flight

Step 2. Enter your details, including your estimated weight(s) of passengers and baggage

Step 3. Your airfare is then calculated using your weight.

Step 4. You travel happy, knowing full well that you are only paying for exactly what you weigh… nothing more.

ABC News reports:

‘And while Langton said there’s “no doubt in my mind this is the concept of the future,” it will likely take major carriers quite awhile to warm up to the concept, if they ever do.

But on the other hand, did you ever think 10 years ago you’d be paying for checked bags?’

MORE…

Do you agree with this? Do you think it is fair? And do you think more airlines will adopt this policy? Sound off in the comments below…

Comments

1. Akib Rubaiyat says

I think judging fare just on the basis of ones weight is a form discrimination towards people.

• Kurt Wallander says

So you don’t mind that a plane could crash because of a bad C of G caused by over-weight passenger(s)??????

• Olszy says

Discrimination? Seems like now days is the best excuse for everything.
      In my opinion this should work pretty well, and more airlines should adopt this idea.

2. says

I’ve been to Samoa many times… they are some of the heaviest people on earth … both tall and very well padded. Samoa Air operates small aircraft, short distances and some of their pax would certainly be paying their weight ….

3. Marzhan says

I am agree with the company decision, but some people after age of 50 become over-weight becouse state of health

4. Dave says

So if this is not an April fool joke, what is going to stop a passenger booking online, lying about there weight & the weight of there baggage ?

• Mike says

That was my thought exactly. The only way to confirm is by weighing them at the airport. I love the idea but it has some flaws.

• says

This airline weighs pax already because they aren’t exactly using 777’s and need total weight for the planes they use. The Samoans are some big folks, but to CHARGE by weight seems a bit much. Getting my butt from here to there should cost the same unless the person needs 2 seats. Charge per seat.Period.

5. Adrian says

I fully agree. Every airline should introduce this system. I spent a very long and very uncomfortable flight last week unable to sit properly as the woman next to me was ‘invading my seat space’…. it gets my backing!!

6. Steve says

I love the idea. I think they should go one step further and put the scale next to the boarding door. You insert your cc, step on the scale, and your seat number and receipt pop out of the machine. Seats could be distributed in much the same way as they arrange baggage below with the correct distribution of fat people and thin people so that the plane is balanced appropriately. If they put the fat people in the back, you could avoid having them take an extra 5 minutres to waddle through the plane clanking everyone in the head as they sway this way and that.

• Erik Winter says

Good ideal in general, however ” If they put the fat people in the back…” your plane will not have a proper C of G and will potentially crash. It would probably be wiser to make the fatter people sit in the middle of the airplane or 50% of them (ruffly) in the front and the other 50% (ruffly) in the back…but not all in the back or all in the front or else.

7. Andy A says

It is about time. Why should passengers whose weight is considered normal relative to height subsidize obese passengers?

8. says

Makes perfect sense to me! Many times I have been required to fly my own aircraft without full fuel when carrying tubby people with a lot of baggage. Discrimination, come on! Like others have said, everything today is discrimination! I bet the major carriers are secretly watching this story and if Samoa Air doesn’t lose too many customers I would not be surprised if other carriers adopt this policy.