A passenger on a Ryanair flight has been awarded $5,000 after his genitals were scalded by hot tea mid-flight.
Darren Weldon, from Dublin, Ireland, burned the tip of his penis when his tray table collapsed sending hot tea on him.
The incident took place in August, 2007.
Weldon apparently placed his tea on the tray table and it gave way.
‘Hot tea splashed over his jeans and Weldon claimed in his Civil Bill that he was ‘scalded to his genital’ area and ‘burned to the tip’ of his penis.
The Irish Sun reports that Weldon requested assistance from staff and went to the toilet to apply cold water to his injuries.
He was treated for his injuries at Tallaght hospital on his return to Dublin.’
Ryanair denied liability and claimed Weldon and his cousin, who was traveling with him, were engaging in ‘horseplay’ before the incident occurred.
The judge ruled Ryanair should have addressed the faulty tray table before letting a passenger use it.
We can’t make this stuff up…and even if we wanted to…we wouldn’t…want to.