Airnation.net Social Hangar

AA Unions Tell American: “Merge with US Airways”

| May 3, 2012 | 20 Comments
American Airlines MD-80

American Airlines' three biggest worker unions have jointly urged the carrier to merge with US Airways

American Airlines 3 Unions Sign Open Letter Urging Airline to Merge with US Airways

The Allied Pilots Association (APA), certified collective bargaining agent for the 10,000 pilots of American Airlines, has co-signed an “open letter” to the AMR Board of Directors urging a merger with US Airways.

The open letter will be featured in advertisements in the Friday, May 4 editions of The Wall Street Journal, The Dallas Morning News and Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

The leaders of the Transport Workers Union and Association of Professional Flight Attendants also signed the letter, which asks the AMR Board of Directors to “engage with US Airways management now” and proceed with a merger of the two carriers.

“We are firmly convinced that the alternative plan of reorganization sponsored by US Airways management represents the best path forward for American Airlines,” said APA President Captain Dave Bates.

“This plan would preserve and enhance the American Airlines brand, retain the airline’s Fort Worth home and save thousands of jobs that would otherwise be eliminated under AMR management’s stand-alone plan.

“As the letter notes, our three unions have already reached conditional labor agreements with US Airways management that will boost productivity and reduce costs,” he said.

“This plan has the support of 55,000 front-line employees at American Airlines, and we believe it deserves immediate and serious consideration by the airline’s board of directors.”

Bates also pointed out that thousands of APA members have added their names to a petition of “no confidence” in AMR management’s ability to successfully restructure the company. The petition drive began on Tuesday, May 1.

“Our pilots have spoken with one voice–it’s time for a real change in the direction of our airline,” Bates added.

Bates has spent the past 27 years as a pilot for American Airlines, which he notes beneath his signature on the open letter.

Source: Allied Pilots Association

Image: Flickr [rudiriet]

Tags: , , , , ,

Category: Airnation

RULES FOR COMMENTING BELOW: Profanity, inappropriate comments, NAME CALLING, racial slurs and attacking others on this blog will not be tolerated. Breaking these rules will first get your posts removed and then you will be banned. In other words, spirited debate is always encouraged here but be respectful doing it. :)

Comments (20)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Chris says:

It would be weird seeing a polished A320 in the Hudson!

2. John says:

Good point Chris! It still looks a little odd to see “polished” 737s. I really hope American remains an independent company until they emerge from bankruptcy. If they want to merge after emerging out of bankruptcy more power to them.

3. John says:

I hope the employees’ unions realizes how many times US Air/US Airways have been in and out of bankruptcy. It can be easy for employees to be persuaded by the promise of keeping jobs, especially while they are vulnerable during the bankruptcy process. US Airways was recently in the news for cutting more jobs. What makes them think they keep the jobs of an airline over twice their size? I see US Airways as nothing but corporate greed. They tried to take over United, then Delta, and now American, our flagship carrier. This is the first time in American’s history it has ever filed for bankrupty–even after 9/11 when 2 of their own aircraft were taken out. I don’t want to see American Airlines become the next Pan Am taken down by the management of US Air.

4. John says:

US Air was never very big. Before they joined with America West they were predominately an east coast carrier. They only have a few European routes; barely enough for an international carrier. The United deal went belly up. They tried a hostile takeover of Delta while Delta was in bankruptcy, but the Delta employees stood together and blocked them. I think American’s regional carrier American Eagle is bigger than US Airways.

• JamesMX says:

It sounds like they’re just a scavenger to me. Just trying to get something ‘on the cheap’ so to speak. Looks like the unions for AA are behind them now. Does AA still have a chance to get outta this by themselves?

5. John says:

Wow James that’s a good question, and one above my head. The bankruptcy process makes it really complex. It depends on how much control the executives of the common stock and how much of the company is owned by private stock. Bottom line is 50% of total ownership of the company. Employees are often shareholders so their vote counts. Some corporations also have fail-safes in place to prevent hostile takeovers. The bankruptcy judge will consider inputs from debtors and can have a great influence on the outcome based on AAs leadership plan to emerge and become a self sustaining company again. I’m not an expert in these cases–just something I’m interested in and read about.

6. dfertic says:

Nice article. Very informative airline website!!!!

7. Edwina says:

I think that everything published was very reasonable.
    But, think on this, what if you added a little information?
    I ain’t saying your content isn’t solid., however what if you added something
    to maybe grab a person’s attention? I mean
    AA Unions Tell American: “Merge with US Airways” is a little
    plain. You should look at Yahoo’s front page and note how they create news headlines to grab viewers to click.

You might add a related video or a picture or two
    to get readers excited about everything’ve got to say.
    In my opinion, it might make your website a
    little livelier.

8. Rather, they fail to follow through because they’re not
    “afraid enough” of not reaching their full potential,
    don’t have a driving hunger to success, or haven’t given themselves
    permission to get out of their comfort zones.
    When you do this, I can guarantee you that your bottom line will take care of itself.
    is scheduled to be delivered over a interval of seven weeks,
    with one new module per week.

9. Nice respond in return of this question with solid arguments and
    describing all regarding that.

10. Porfirio says:

I like it when individuals get together and share ideas. Great website, continue the
    good work!

11. It’s impressive that you are getting ideas
    from this paragraph as well as from our argument made here.

12. SSL Deals says:

I am curious to find out what blog system you’re using?
    I’m having some small security issues with my latest site and I would
    like to find something more safe. Do you have any solutions?

13. Josie says:

Right away I am ready to do my breakfast, after having my
    breakfast coming yet again to read further news.

14. Saatnya says:

They tried to take over United and Delta??

15. Saatnya says:

Good news, the source from where?